Today, World Vegetarian Day, kicks off Vegetarian Awareness Month (what, you didn’t know?).
Plant-based diets have been shown to improve and promote health, promote ethical treatment of animals and to conserve precious resources. According to the North American Vegetarian Society, vegetarianism…
- Reduces the risk of major killers such as heart diseases, stroke and cancer while cutting exposure to food borne pathogens.
- Provide a viable answer to feeding the world’s hungry through more efficient use of grains and other crops
- Saves animals from suffering in factory-farm conditions and from the pain and terror of slaughter
- Conserves vital but limited freshwater, fertile topsoil and other precious resources
- Preserve irreplaceable ecosystems such as rainforests and other wildlife habitats
- Decreases greenhouse gases that are accelerating global warming
- Mitigate the ever-expanding environmental pollution of animal agriculture
If you’ve considered trying the lifestyle, October is a good month to do so. For the less ambitious, give Meatless Monday a shot in October. This small lifestyle change can have an enormous influence on the planet.
Find recipes for Meatless Monday from Food Contributor Sue Chehrenegar.